Since learning to eat healthy and taking on a more active lifestyle, I have been experimenting with recipes that combine wholesome staples to make yummy alternatives to foods that are otherwise not on my regular menu. One of my personal favorite breakfast foods has always been big, fluffy pancakes loaded with chocolate chips and smothered in butter and syrup. I used to eat them way more often than I care to mention. Since my new creation of Chocolate Cherry Blender Pancakes, I can now treat myself and my family to a delicious pancake breakfast any day of the week and feel completely guilt free!
I recently had the fabulous opportunity to sample and review six flavors of gourmet oatmeal from Modern Oats. (Check out my review and enter to win some Modern Oats of your own!) It was with Modern Oat’s Chocolate Cherry oatmeal that this pancake recipe was born. In the past, I had used plain ol’ quick oats to make blender pancakes, which were less flavorful and had fewer heart-healthy ingredients. Quick oats don’t contain the fruit, nuts, and seeds that Modern Oats have, nor do they have added pieces of yummy all natural chocolate!
An added bonus is that you can experiment with any flavor of Modern Oats that you’d like! Why not try Apple Walnut or Goji Blueberry pancakes? There’s also the option of adding some dark chocolate chips or extra fruit to the recipe. Top your pancakes with some natural syrup, jelly, or even peanut butter and enjoy!
- 1 container of Chocolate Cherry Modern Oats
– 1/2 large banana
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 egg (or two egg whites)
– 1/3 cup low fat or fat free cottage cheese
– 2 tablespoons almond milk (or regular low fat milk)
– Optional add-ins- chocolate chips, fresh berries
1) Place all ingredients (except for any add-ins) into a blender and blend until smooth. If the batter seems too think, add extra milk (up to one additional tablespoon).
2) Coat a nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Drop batter (about 1/4 cup for each pancake) onto skillet. If you’re including chocolate chips or fresh berries, drop them onto the pancakes.
3) Flip when bubbles appear and the underside is golden. Makes approximately 4 pancakes.